Edit: This article was updated on August 4th, 2017 to include revised dates for the volunteer information session organized by Mott.
This is a call to action! We’re looking for Michigan-based gamers to volunteer at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital through a program we’ve been testing called Player 2!
If you’ve been keeping up with our blog articles for the last year, you may already be familiar with the program! If not, here’s a quick summary: Player 2 is a new initiative we’re piloting at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital. As part of the program, gamers have the opportunity to apply the knowledge they’ve acquired through gaming in a manner that supports patients and staff within healthcare facilities. Responsibilities may include…
- Distributing games to patients throughout the hospital.
- Providing minor tech support for issues that arise with equipment (game updates, connectivity troubleshooting, installing software, etc.)
- Playing games with kids!
As a volunteer, you’ll be required to commit at least 3 hours per week to visiting with patients over the course of two academic semesters. The semesters do not need to be back to back, and scheduling is flexible. All volunteers will ultimately need to pass the hospital’s qualification process, which requires an in-person interview, background check, immunization shots, and general training to interact with patients.
While we’re specifically looking for individuals with extensive gaming knowledge, it’s important to note that responsibilities may also be non-gaming related during your time as a volunteer (i.e. cleaning toys or gaming materials, assisting kids in playrooms, helping children with arts & crafts). Day-to-day tasks vary depending on the needs of patients.
Still with us? Great! Here’s what you need to do to get involved:
- Step 1: Fill out our volunteer application. All applications must be submitted by or before August 31st (at the absolute latest).
- Step 2: If you meet our criteria for the program, a representative from Gamers Outreach will get in touch within 1 to 3 business days to let you know you’re eligible for participation! In the event we receive too many applications, or your application doesn’t meet our current expectations, we’ll invite you to apply again at a future time.
- Step 3: C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital will be hosting an information session to provide you with an idea of what life is like in the hospital. Attending this session is mandatory for all applicants, but does not equate to a hard volunteer commitment. The session will be held at Ford Auditorium on September 7th, from 6:30 – 7:30 PM.
- Step 4: A Gamers Outreach / C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital representative will follow-up after the information session to confirm whether or not becoming a Player 2 volunteer is still of interest, and if so, discuss next steps for involvement!
For any gamer who wants to give back, Player 2 is a great way to make a difference. Player 2 volunteers help normalize the hospital experience by ensuring kids have access to equipment and socialization during treatment. Player 2 volunteers become a resource for parents, patients, and hospital staff who need help from gamers to ensure kids have access to recreation and activities! It’s a great opportunity for us gamers to apply our skills, and help others level up!
We hope you’ll consider joining us at the hospital!