Great news, all! We’re gearing up to begin our second round of the Player 2 pilot program within C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital of Ann Arbor, Michigan!
If you’re already familiar with the program, you can apply to volunteer by completing the Volunteer Application on the Gamers Outreach website! See here.
Player 2 is a new program we’re testing at our local children’s hospital. Through the program, gamers have the opportunity to apply the knowledge they’ve acquired through gaming in a manner that supports patients and staff within hospitals. You can learn more about the program by reading this blog post.
This will be the second phase of our pilot program at Mott. As we collect feedback from hospital staff, patients, and volunteers, we hope to eventually expand this program to other hospitals we support.
So far, the feedback we’ve received from individuals involved has been absolutely phenomenal. We’ve already shared an interview with one of our volunteers, David Anderson, who gave us insight into what life as a Player 2 volunteer has looked like the past few months. Soon, we’ll be publishing interviews with a couple of the other brave gamers who first stepped forward to make this initiative a reality.
If you’re near Ann Arbor, Michigan and have been looking for an opportunity to get involved with our efforts, Player 2 is a great way to get started!
As a volunteer, you’ll be required to commit at least 3 hours per week to visiting with patients over the course of two academic semesters. The semesters do not need to be back to back, and scheduling is flexible.
All volunteers will ultimately need to pass the hospital’s qualification process, which requires an in-person interview, background check, immunization shots, and general training to interact with patients. Once through, your role will largely revolve around three primary responsibilities:
- Distributing games to patients throughout the hospital.
- Providing minor tech support for issues that may arise with equipment.
- Playing games with the kids!
Still with us? Great! Here’s what you need to do to get involved:
- Step 1: fill out our volunteer application. All applications must be submitted by or before April 19th (at the absolute latest). However, it’s better if you apply early. See Step 3 below.
- Step 2: if you meet our criteria for the program, a representative from Gamers Outreach will get in touch within 1 to 3 business days to let you know you’re eligible for participation! In the event we receive too many applications, or your application doesn’t meet our current expectations, we’ll invite you to apply again at a future time.
- Step 3: C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital will be hosting three separate information sessions to provide you with an idea of what life is like in the hospital. Attending one of these sessions is mandatory for all volunteers, but does not equate to a hard commitment. You will need to attend one of three sessions…
- Wednesday, April 13th: 2A201 Ford Auditorium @ 1 PM – 2 PM
- Thursday, April 14th: 2A201 Ford Auditorium @ 5 PM – 6 PM
- Saturday, April 23rd: F2305 MCHC Auditorium @ 1 PM – 2 PM
- Step 4: if you’re interested in making the commitment, a representative from Gamers Outreach / Mott Children’s Hospital will be in touch to get you started!
For any gamer who wants to give back, Player 2 is a great way to make a difference. Player 2 volunteers help make sure kids are enjoying themselves as much as they can in a hospital situation. It’s a context where many children might not have anything else to look forward to. Player 2 volunteers become a resource for parents, patients, and hospital staff who need help from gamers to ensure kids have access to recreation and activities! It’s a great opportunity for us gamers to apply our skills, and help others level up!
We hope you’ll consider joining us at the hospital!